Many users, when they buy a new phone look for four things primarily: RAM, internal storage, battery and camera. When RAM is such an important factor while buying a phone, one expects to see available RAM option in the device Settings. Up until Android Oreo, the Memory or RAM option was easily visible on most of the Android devices. However, starting Android Oreo, primarily on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, Google has hidden the option to view available RAM.
Well, they have their reasons. Many people download various third party apps to free the RAM when they see less RAM is available. This isn’t healthy as Android comes with built-in options to tackle low RAM or in other words, Android has a power packed memory management system in place.
Anyway, coming to our topic, if you are missing the presence of RAM or memory option on your Google Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL handset, well, we might be of some help to you. The RAM option is present in the settings but it’s hidden or buried down and you have to uncover it to view it.
Want to find out its location? Keep digging. We mean reading.
There are two methods to view available RAM on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL:
- From Settings
- From widget
How to view available RAM or memory on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL from Settings
Yes, the RAM option isn’t available directly under the Settings but dig down a little and it’s right there. Here’s what you need to do:
- To view RAM on your Pixel 2 handset, you have to enable Developer options on your Pixel 2. To enable Developer options on your Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, open device Settings and navigate to System. Tap About phone. Scroll down and tap Build number 7 times to activate the Developer option settings. You will get a message confirming that the Developer Option has been activated.
- Then go back and tap Developer options present under device Settings – System.
- Tap the first option i.e. Memory present under Developer Options.
Congrats! You have unlocked the hidden Memory option. You can view the Memory usage for last 3 hours or change it to 6 hours, 12 hours or even 1 day. Similarly, you can even view Memory usage by apps under this Setting.
How to view available RAM or memory on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL using widget
If you don’t want to enable Developer options, there is another method by which you can view available RAM or memory on your beloved Google Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL. The method involves the use of a widget known as memory widget.
Here are the steps to add memory widget to your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL:
- Hold an empty space on the home screen of Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL.
- Tap the Widgets option from the list of options shown at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll down and drag Settings widget to the home screen.
- From the Settings shortcut list that pops up, select Memory option.
- Now on the home screen, tap this new Memory widget. You will see the available and total RAM here. Similar to the first method, you can view memory use since last 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours and even 1 day.