Reddit videos not playing on iPhone and Android devices is not a new problem. Even worse, sometimes the Reddit app refuses to load.
If you are facing the same problem, keep reading to find the possible solutions to fix Reddit videos that won’t play on iPhone and Android devices.
Methods to Fix Reddit Videos That Won’t Play on iPhone & Android
Method 1: Clear Reddit App Cache
A Corrupt Reddit app cache can lead to this problem where auto-playing videos and GIFs won’t play properly.
Clearing the cache can help to resolve the issue. Here are the steps you must follow to perform a cache cleanup:
iOS/iPhone: Offload and reinstall
- Go to Settings » General » iPhone Storage.
- Tap the Reddit app and then tap on ‘Offload App.’
- In the popup window, select ‘Offload App’ again.
Offloading an app retains documents & data related to the app and removes all temporary files and removes the app. Now, go to App Store and reinstall Reddit.
Android: Clear app cache
- Go to Settings » Applications.
- Tap on Reddit. On the next screen, scroll down to find the ‘Clear Cache’ button.
- Tap on ‘Clear Cache.’
Now try playing Reddit videos. They should work now.
Method 2: Alter app permission
You must ensure that Reddit has appropriate permissions. Here is how you do it:
- Open the Settings
- Scroll down and find the Reddit app and tap on it.
- Review the available permissions and ensure that ‘Photos’ permission is set to ‘read and write.’
- Go to Settings » Apps & Notifications » Reddit
- On the app page, tap on Permissions » Files and Media.
- Turn on the ‘Allow access to media only’ using the toggle switch.
Method 3: Change DNS settings
Slow network connections can cause problems. Altering the DNS settings can help. Here is how you do it:
- Go to Settings » Wi-Fi » and tap on the ‘i’ icon next to your Wi-Fi network
- Now tap on DNS. Now change the primary and alternate DNS server values with “188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206” for Google DNS or “220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168” for OpenDNS.
- Go to Settings » Wi-Fi and tap (or tap and hold depending on phone manufacturer) on the network name
- On the next screen, tap on Modify Network » IP Settings (or Advanced)
- Now change the primary and alternate DNS server values with “22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199” for Google DNS or “188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206” for OpenDNS.
Method 4: Disable Reddit Autoplay
Reddit’s autoplay feature consumes a lot of bandwidth. This can cause videos to hang. Disabling the autoplay option can help. Here is how you do that:
- Open the Reddit app.
- Click on your profile icon (top left corner).
- Tap on the Settings menu and then on Autoplay.
- In the next dropdown menu set Autoplay to ‘Never.’
Method 5: Try Using a VPN
If your ISP is blocking the resources that Reddit uses, videos and GIFs may fail to open. Try changing the DNS. If that doesn’t work, use a VPN, and connect to a server from a different country. Now check whether Reddit works or not.
Method 6: Update your Reddit App
Check if a new update is available for Reddit. Updating the app can help to resolve the problem. You can update the app from App Store on iOS and the Play Store on Android.
Method 7: Update your phone’s OS
If there is any software glitch in your phone’s operating system, it can interfere with the normal functioning of installed apps. Check if updates are available for your phone’s operating system. Here is how you do it:
- Open the Settings app and then tap on ‘General.’
- On the next screen that appears, tap on ‘Software Update.’
- Go to Settings » System » System Update.
If updates are available, both iOS and Android will show notifications. Follow on-screen instructions to complete the OS update process. Once the phone reboots, check the Reddit app. Videos should be playing now.
Remember, Reddit is a resource-intensive application and hence, if you have less powerful hardware, there may be problems. However, the simple steps mentioned above can help you to resolve the problem you are facing irrespective of the phone you are using.