iPhone users across the world have complained of screen flickering after updating to iOS 16.
In case you are facing this same issue, the solutions mentioned below can help you to fix the problem.
Tips to Fix Screen Flickering Issue on iOS 16
Here are a few things you can do to fix screen flickering issue on device running iOS 16.
1. Turn Off Auto-Brightness
Disabling auto-brightness can help to maintain an accurate screen brightness, and hence, reduce screen flickering. Follow the steps below to disable this feature:
- Go to Settings » Accessibility » Display Accommodations.
- Now, tap on the toggle switch next to Auto-Brightness and turn it OFF.
Now check for flickering. If it exists, try the next solution.
2. Enable Reduce Transparency
Reducing your iPhone’s transparency effects can fix the issue. It can also improve touch recognition, which is often a cause of screen flickering. Follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings » Accessibility » Reduce Transparency.
- On the next screen, tap on the toggle switch to turn it Off (if it isn’t already turned off).
3. Check Phone Memory/Storage
Low memory and storage can lead to screen flickering on your iOS 16 device. You must check the available storage and if necessary, delete some unnecessary apps and files to free up storage and memory.
Here is how you do that: General » iPhone Storage. The next screen will show the available storage on your device.
4. Quit the App
If the screen flickers while using a third-party app, force quit the app and then uninstall it. Here is how you quit an app:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your home screen and stop in the middle.
- This will pull up the list of all apps currently running.
- Swipe through the apps to find the culprit app and swipe it up and off your iPhone screen. This will quit the app.
Once you quit the app, the screen flickering should stop, and you should then uninstall the app or check for an update for the app.
5. Restart and/or Force Restart Your iPhone
Restart and forced restart are essentially the same with the only difference being that a usual restart will gradually shut down the apps and then the OS. In a forced restart, there is no gradual shutdown. The power is cut off abruptly.
The problem with forced restarting is that certain files may get corrupted. Thus, it must be used with caution. However, a force restart can also fix various problems.
In the case of a flickering screen, a restart or a forced restart can help to resolve the issue.
Here is how you restart your iOS 16 device:
- Press and hold the side button and the volume up or volume down button.
- After the power-off slider appears on the screen, release the buttons.
- Now, drag the slider to the right. This will shut down the device.
- Now, press the side button again.
- Once the Apple logo appears on the screen, release the side button, and let the phone boot.
Here is how you perform a force restart:
- Press and release the Volume Up button.
- Now, quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Now, press and hold the Side button.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the Side button.
6. Restore iPhone Using DFU Mode
DFU or Device Firmware Update Mode can help you to reset your phone to factory settings, but it will wipe all data on your phone. However, it can fix your phone’s screen flickering issue. Here are the steps you must follow:
- Connect your phone to your computer and launch iTunes.
- Press and release the Volume Up button and then quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Now press and hold the Side button until the screen turns black.
- Keep pressing the Side button and then press the Volume Down button for nearly 5 seconds.
- Release the Side button while pressing the Volume Down button until your iPhone enters the DFU mode. Now release the Volume Down button.
- iTunes will show that your phone is in recovery mode.
- Click Ok to restore the phone in DFU mode.
Once done, disconnect your iPhone from your computer and restart it. Now check for screen flickering.
If that doesn’t help, you will need Apple’s assistance. Visit the nearest customer support center.