Counter-Strike 2, the biggest technological leap in the franchise’s history, is set to launch this summer as a free upgrade for CS:GO players. A Limited Test is currently underway for selected players, giving them a chance to experience some of the game’s new features.
Counter-Strike 2: New Features and Enhancements
1. Dynamic Smoke Grenades
Smoke grenades are now dynamic volumetric objects that interact with the environment, lighting, gunfire, and explosions. They can be pushed by bullets and HE grenades, seep through doorways and windows, and create realistic lighting and color effects.
2. Precise and Responsive Gameplay
Thanks to the new sub-tick update architecture, players will experience equally responsive moving, shooting, and grenade throwing, regardless of tick rate.
3. Map Enhancements
Maps have been upgraded or fully overhauled with new Source 2 tools and rendering features, resulting in cleaner, brighter, and more visually appealing environments.
- Full Overhaul Maps: Completely rebuilt with new Source 2 tools (Example: Overpass)
- Upgrade Maps: Improved with new Source 2 lighting (Example: Nuke)
- Touchstone Maps: Classic maps with minor lighting improvements (Example: Dust II)
4. Source 2 Tools for Community Map Makers
The Source 2 tools and rendering features will be available for community map makers, and a Source 2 Item Workshop will be introduced later during the limited test.
5. Your Items in a Whole New Light
All CS:GO inventory items will be carried over to Counter-Strike 2, benefitting from Source 2 lighting and materials. Stock weapons now have high-resolution models, and some weapon finishes have been upgraded.
6. Hi-Def Visual Effects (VFX)
All visual effects in Counter-Strike 2 have been reimagined, using Source 2 lighting and particle systems for improved water, explosions, fire, smoke, muzzle flashes, bullet tracers, impact effects, and more.
- Gameplay Visuals: Redesigned for better readability, including bullet impacts and directional blood impacts
- Environment Effects: Enhanced explosions, fire, C4 lighting, and more with the Source 2 Engine and modern hardware
- UI Enhancements: A complete UI overhaul with new visual effects for the HUD, providing better communication of game state
7. Accurate Audio: Reworked, Rebalanced, Reverbed
Counter-Strike 2 features reworked audio to better reflect the environment, create distinct sounds, and express game state, while also providing a more comfortable listening experience.
More to Come
The Limited Test only evaluates a subset of Counter-Strike 2’s features. The full range of features and details will be revealed in the coming months. As we await its summer release, hop in to the Limited Test to get a taste of what the game has to offer.