There are so many digital colors in this world. It is impossible for a person to remember the hex color code of each color. While one can easily identify the hex code of basic colors like red, black, white etc., it is difficult to identify a color variation. Many times, you like a certain image color and want to use it for your own design. You can do that easily with the help of hex code.
There are two methods to find out hex code for any image. These are:
- Using Chrome extension
- Using paint and calculator
Find Hex color code using Chrome extension
If you are trying to find the hex color code of an image on the internet, you can do that with the help of an awesome Chrome extension. The Chrome extension goes by the name ColorZilla and lets you find the exact hex color code for any image pixel with just one click.
Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install the Chrome extension ColorZilla from the link given below on your PC.
- Once the extension is up and running, you will see a new icon that looks like a color picker tool in the extension bar on Chrome.
- Click the icon and move your mouse to the image pixel whose hex color u want to find out.
- Once your pixel color is shown in the ColorZilla box, click the mouse once to lock the color.
- The hex code is automatically copied to the clipboard for your use. In case, you need other details about the color like RGB and HSV, click the ColorZilla icon again, and select Color Picker from the menu.
Find Hex color using paint and calculator
This method does not require you to download an extension. It uses the pre-installed tools on your Windows PC such as MS Paint and calculator to find the hex code. Wondering how to do so?
Here are the steps:
- Open the required image in MS Paint like you would open any other image.
- Click the Color Picker tool present in the Tools. Move your cursor to the image pixel whose color you want to detect. Left click the mouse to lock the selected color. The selected color will be shown in the “Color 1” box.
- Open Calculator on your PC.
- Click the three bar menu present at the top left corner of the calculator and select Programmer from the list.
- Next, go back to Paint and click the “Edit colors” option located to the right of the color palette. A new Edit colors window will open.
- You will find three values at the bottom right corner of “Edit colors” window. Copy the value next to Red and paste it into the calculator. Make sure DEC is selected in the calculator. To select DEC, just click it.
- Once you enter the value of RED in the calculator, you will see a new value next to HEX. Copy it and save it to the notepad.
- Repeat the step 6 and 7 for Green and Blue color.
- Combine the three HEX values that you get and you have your HEX value for the selected color.
Kindly note: The Html code or Hex code of a color is usually six or three digits. While converting from DEC to HEX, if you get a hexadecimal value of a single digit, add zero before that. For instance, if you get the hexadecimal value as D, add 0 before it, which will be taken as 0D.