Buying a metal detector can be too expensive an affair if you want to find some metals or your keys or earring etc.
Those metal detectors are professional grade stuff used in industrial applications. But, what about average Joes like you and me?
This is where the smartphones we carry can come to aid. All we need is a stud finder app. So, here is our pick on the 10 best stud finder apps for Android and iOS users.
1. Metal Detector [Both Android and iOS]
This is the only decent stud finder app that you can find both for Android and iOS devices. Designed to detect any metal object in an area, the Metal Detector app is based on the simple principle that every metal produces a magnetic field. The core features of this app are:
- Move the device to see the magnetic field of different metals on the screen. If the phone gets close to the metal you are looking for, the charts will increase and the phone will start vibrating.
- It can find electrical wires hidden in walls.
- It can find iron pipes underground.
The app requires your phone to have magnetic field sensors in order to work. It can detect gold, silver or coins[made of copper].
2. Stud Finder Scanner [Android Only]
With near-perfect rating on Google Play Store, this Stud Finder Scanner app is a relief for all Android users. It is designed to find metals, nuts, studs etc. hidden in earth, pipelines and walls. Some of several features offered by this app are:
- Metal scan mode capable of detecting black pipe and copper.
- Starts beeping upon finding a metal in wall.
- Deep scan to find objects hidden behind plaster and walls or in earth.
- Allows left to right and up and down scanning.
- Fast detection saves time.
The app uses the radiation meter and magnetic sensor of the phone and hence, your phone should have both.
3. Stud Finder, Metal Finder, Metal Detector Real [Android Only]
No, this app found on Google Play is not here to play gimmicks as it is evident from its stellar ratings from 1000+ users. The core features of the app are:
- Finds studs, screws, nails etc. in walls.
- Uses magnetic sensor of the phone. The more powerful the sensor, the more accurate the data it provides.
4. Stud Finder – Metal Detector [Android Only]
This app is a latest addition to Google Play store and comes with shining colors. It works the same way all other stud finder apps work. That is, it uses the phones magnetic sensor. So, your phone must have that sensor. The core features of the app are:
- Easy to use app with simple UI.
- Detects metal objects, silver, iron, studs etc.
- Gives vibration alarm on finding a metal.
5. Stud Finder & Metal Detector [Android Only]
Available only for Android users, this app is one of the highest-rate apps on Play Store. Designed to find stud, metal, pipes, cables, screw, bolts etc. through the wall, this app comes with some cool features which include:
- Provides multiple detection modes like wall wood stud finder, stud finder in walls, stud finder metal detector and more.
- Uses magnetic sensor and radiation meter to accomplish the tasks.
- Works offline.
- Live wire and AC detection.
- Accurate data but accuracy will certainly depend on the phone.
6. Metal Stud Finder [Android Only]
This app is also available only for Android users. It is designed to do two basic things – find stud in wooden table and detect metal in wall. The core features of the app are:
- Free app but comes with ads.
- Allows activating and deactivating sensors anytime.
- Allows setting frequency value.
- Allows selecting ringtone to set off the alarm.
Ensure that your phone has the magnetic sensors and also ensure that your phone doesn’t have a cover on it when you are using it.
7. Metal Detector EMF [iOS Only]
Designed to detect metals nearby, this app uses the magnetic sensor of your phone to measure the magnetic field value. Available only for iOS users, the core features of the app are:
- Detects metallic objects that are hidden behind walls or are stuck underground.
- It can even detect gold, silver, copper coins etc.
8. Stud Finder [iOS Only]
Available only for iPhone or iOS users, the Stud Finder app is one of the highest-rated apps on the App Store. It is a basic app that uses the magnetic sensor of the device. The features of the app are:
- Detects metals close to the phone.
- Cannot detect non-ferrous metals.
- Finds studs in walls with easy.
9. Metal Detector: Metal Sniffer [iOS Only]
If you have an iOS device, you can get this app to take care of metal detection needs. The app works as intended and here are the basic features offered by the app:
- Detects any metal around the phone.
- The alarm goes off when the magnetic field crosses a certain limit.
- It works through the walls and can detect hidden metals and wires.
- Produces a cool visual chart.
10. Hand Held Metal Detector [iOS Only]
This app is designed to work only on iOS devices. It works perfectly on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. The basic features of this app are:
- Detects magnetic metals only such as steel, iron etc.
- Allows calibration simply by shaking the phone.
- Gives best sensitivity near the camera of the device.