So you know that Apple has launched a new Operating System iOS11. This highly advanced OS is preinstalled in the latest iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 plus and can be downloaded and installed on previous apple devices. It offers a lot of improvement when compared with iOS10 and its predecessors in such areas of your phone like the Control Centre, Augmented- Reality experience, and the Apple Pay mobile service. It also brings a lot of improvements to such apps as Maps, Messages, Notes and others. Indeed, there are loads of advantages to derive from running iOS11 on your device and we want to look at the way to install it in your phone.
Firstly, can your Phone run iOS11?
Unfortunately, not every iPhone can run on the new Operating System. iPhones produced before iPhone 5s will not be able to run on the OS. This includes iPhone 5c and iPhone 5 and any other iPhone produced before 2013 – they are not 64-bit capable. But from iPhone 5s upwards, iOS11 can run smoothly to give your phone that nifty feel that only Apple can give.
About iPads, iOS11 can work with iPad mini 2 and the ones after it – the sixth generation iPad, any iPad Air, and iPad Pro. You can also install iOS11 on a sixth-generation iPod Touch.
Backup your iPhone first
You know it is always essential to backup the contents of a device before installing a new Operating System. We recommend that you backup on your computer before attempting to install iOS11 to avoid total loss of data in a situation of an incident during installation. Follow the steps below to achieve this:
- Plug your iPhone into the computer, navigate to iTunes and click the phone icon to select the device you want to back up.
- Select back up now. Also, check the Encrypt iPhone Backup box if there are some important information like health and activity data that you wish to save.
- Go to iTunes menu, click on Preference, then Devices; you will be presented with a list of your backups.
- Identify the backup you just made and control-click on it and select ‘Archive’ from the menu that pops up. Note that you can identify the backup by looking at the time stamp at the right hand column.
Proceed with downloading and installation of iOS11 on your device
After successfully backing up the content of your device, you can proceed with the download of iOS11. Ensure that your Apple ID and your Passcode are handy before embarking on the process; you will need them during the update process.
If, by any chance, you can’t remember your Apple ID and Passcode, visit the support system via applied.apple.com, click on the ‘Forgot Apple ID or password?’ you will be taken to the prompt where you will fill in some required information that will help you to retrieve your ID. If you forgot your passcode, you can visit support.apple.com to be properly guided on what to do.
If you have your Apple ID and passcode ready, follow the steps below:
- Go to settings
- Select general
- Select software update
- The latest OS (in this case iOS11) will be there already. Tap on ‘Download and Install’.
- When the prompt comes up, enter your passcode and agree to Apple’s terms. The software will begin to download.
- After the download, tap install and the phone will begin installation of iOS11.
After installation, as the phone restarts, you will be prompted to enter your passcode. You may also be asked to sign in with your Apple ID as part of setting up the OS. Follow the necessary steps to set up iOS11 and enjoy the wonderful experience it offers.