Bug detectors are portable devices that you can use to detect unwanted surveillance, whether in a business or personal setting. You can use it to identify and locate hidden objects, spy cameras, GPS trackers, radio transmitters, and more. Bug detectors are therefore useful in minimizing unwanted surveillance and ensuring your personal privacy.
In this article, we’ll look at ten best RF bug detectors on the market. We will show you how they are used and what kinds of bugs they can detect.
Top 10 Best RF Bug Detectors
1. Anti Spy K18
This is a powerful rf bug detector that can detect any signal fluctuations from the transmitting bug devices, e.g. the working eavesdropping device, hidden camera, GPS tracking device, etc.
K18 RF Detector is a typical bug detector that operates in the frequency range 1 MHz to 8000 MHz and detection range is greater than 73 dB. You can use K18 RF Detector in two ways: with or without headphones. In the second case, use the light and vibration signals.
- Size: It’s small (6.5 * 4.8 * 1.5cm / 2.6 * 1.9 * 0.6in) and not very heavy (3 ounces).
- Frequency: The range looks pretty good, 1 MHz – 8000 MHz.
- Usability: The case is made of ABS plastic.
It is a tiny detector that can detect signals from 1 MHz to 6.5 GHz. It can locate any wired, wireless hidden camera, including GSM, VHF, UHF bugs, trackers. It can also detect something like shower cams or hidden microphones using laser scanning technology.
- Size: It is very small (L: 4.5 inches, W: 2 inches, H: 0.6 inches) and very light. You can use it without anyone knowing.
- Frequency: Although the detection range is large, false alarms are very common.
- Usability: The case is made of plastic, so be careful with it. The battery is rechargeable, and a charger AC is included in the delivery.
This device can be a perfect choice if you need something more professional. Pro-10G is designed to detect almost all types of bugs and is, therefore, one of the best products on this list.
Pro-10G can detect spy cameras, hidden GPS trackers, wiretaps, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi as well as telephone transmitters.
This device offers a very high-frequency range. This allows the Pro-10G to detect errors up to 10 GHz. It can also produce “white noise,” which means you can stop listening to unwanted audio without additional equipment.
Another exciting thing is that this electronic device detector has a “start switch”: when you turn it on, you can detect all transmissions, even the weak ones. No tracking device is detected.
- Size: The device is quite small (L: 4.75 inches, W: 2.25 inches, H: 1 inches). It would not be a problem to carry Pro-10G in your pocket.
- Frequency: It can detect frequencies up to 10GHz, which means that it detects almost all existing bugs as well as GPS trackers.
- Usability: The headset and dry cell are shipped with a telephone line adapter (so you do not have to shop elsewhere).
In general, Pro-10G is one of the best options if you want to spend 20 times more than on the previous entry-level model. It can detect everything, but it looks a lot like a professional backup detector, it’s up to you.
4. KJB DD1206
This is another device manufactured by KJB Security Products. It’s expensive, but it’s much closer to what we call a professional detector: this device can detect all hidden bugs, GSM devices, and hidden Wi-Fi.
- Size: It’s pretty small, like all the other devices here (L: 3 inches, W: 5 inches, H: 0.75 inches).
- Frequency: DD1206 has two antennas: one detects 50 MHz – 12 GHz and the second detects 2.44 GHz. You can also easily identify a Wi-Fi source.
- Usability: The KJB DD1206 requires two AAA batteries (and comes with this device). It is very convenient and not expensive.
This device does not detect radio waves, so we cannot compare its frequency range. All this device can do is detect hidden cameras, but unfortunately, it is not the best in this field.
This device is very easy to use. All you have to do is hold the lens on your eyes and push a button. Then you will see a flash of red light at a certain frequency; the lenses of the hidden cameras will reflect this light. You need to be within a few inches away from a hidden camera to detect it though.
- Size: It is a very small device (L: 1 inch, W: 1 inch, H: 1 inch).
- Frequency: This device does not work with radio waves, it is all about optical detection of the lens.
- Usability: Without batteries, only two AAA batteries are needed.
This powerful little device is manufactured by EMR Shielding Solutions.
The MicroAlert 2 is a pocked size radio/microwave alarm that detects not only hidden audio recorders and cameras but also GPS trackers. It is almost as sensitive as some expensive devices, so you will not miss any hidden bugs at home (or elsewhere).
- Size: L: 7 inches, W: 4 inches, H: 3.5 inches
- Frequency: The device can detect almost all common bugs and cameras at most frequencies.
- Usability: Micro Alert 2 requires a CR 2032 lithium battery, which is very commonly used. If there are problems with the battery, you can easily buy them.
The RD-10 is an atypical detector that uses both the laser LED and radio frequency to detect unwanted activity. This means that your chances of finding a hidden camera are greater with this device than with the others, that use only one method.
This detector can also find GPS trackers in your car and various other hidden sources.
- Size: It is very small (3 inches x 1.75 inches x 0.5 inches), but it has a vibration mode available, with which you can find a bug in secret.
- Frequency: The sampling range is quite wide (20 MHz to 6 GHz), but other devices have a longer range.
- Usability: The package is quite standard, but this unit uses AAA batteries.
It’s another typical detector capable of finding all active transmitting bugs within seconds. The device locates all electronic RF signals, GPS active trackers and hidden cameras.
It is trusted by law enforcement & federal agents world-wide for their counter surveillance needs.
- Size: It is small, like all other devices, included in this list.
- Frequency: As per the official description, it works on devices that run between 10 MHz and 10 GHz.
- Usability: In the box, you get one detector, lens finder attachment, one 9V battery, and a user manual.
CDLM10 is another detector designed and produced by Lawmate. It uses RF and LED detection: you can look through a lens (like a Spy Finder) or use an antenna to detect radio frequencies.
- Size: This is an average pocket detector that can be used in secret.
- Frequency: It can detect devices that operate between 20MHz and 60GHz, it is a good range, and most hidden devices work in this area.
- Usability: In the box, you only get one detector and two AAA batteries, no user manual provided.
10. iProtect 1205
Easy to put in a bag, this portable RF scanning wand allows security personnel to scan an object in a matter of seconds and detects both analog and digital transmissions.
With a wide RF frequency band from 50 MHz to 6 GHz, this detector can detect VHF/UHF transmitters, GSM/3G devices, wireless video cameras, WiFi video and audio transmitters, GPS devices and more.
Keep confidential for a meeting or important conversation with this easy-to-use wand. If you are using an AAA battery, the RF signal detector wand can last for more than 20 hours, and the low power indicators will warn you if you no longer have juice.
The three operating modes Normal, Vibrating and Audio give you the most suitable warning method for your environment. The robust duralumin housing makes the detector robust enough for any environment.
- Size: 172×19 mm
- Frequency: It can detect devices that operate between 50 MHz to 6 GHz range and is equipped with a 16-segment bar graph that displays signal strength.
- Usability: In the box, you only get one detector and one AAA battery.