While there are excellent choice of video cameras in the market that offer video shooting capabilities, they often lack in high-end features and necessary performances required for serious filmmaking and professional videography.
Camcorder, also called handycam delivers where ordinary video cameras fail. These are video cameras that are specifically designed and built for use in professional video production. They are widely used in areas such as film, music videos, television programming, documentary production and more.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the top 11 best professional video cameras available today that offer not only great features but also superior performances for all your video production needs.
Here’s the best picks.
Top 11 Best Professional Video Cameras
This is the next generation handheld digital film camera that will greatly enhance and render professional and Hollywood quality look to your video production. It performs great in low light conditions and gives excellent image quality with precise skin tones and gorgeous organic colors.
Apart from being an excellent choice for those involved in film, music videos, television programming and documentary production, this film camera is also recommended for vloggers and content creators because of its compact, lightweight and pocket-sized design.
- Incredible High Dynamic Range (HDR) Images
- 5″ LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Native resolution of 6144 x 3456
- Compatible with most popular lenses
- Video Shooting Resolutions (6K50fps, 6K60fps, 4K60fps, 3.7K60fps, 2.8K120fps and 1080p120fps)
- Capture Still Photos at 21.2 megapixels
- 1 HDMI port up to 1080p60fps
- Features Back Panel Controls
- Wireless Bluetooth Camera Remote Control
- Built-in stereo microphone & speaker
- Direct External Media Disk recording via USB-C
- Power via Rechargeable Removable Battery or 12V DC or USB-C
- Multi Language support
Panasonic HC-X2000 offers the right balance of features, hardware, value and design. It features all the connectivity hardware you should anticipate from a modern video camera and all the quality you need to capture beautiful footage. This camcorder has a built-in LED video light for sharp 4K 60p video recording even in dim lit conditions. It also got a bunch of creative filters and effect with high-quality sound recordings. It looks premium and it even more fun when holding. The HC-X2000 offers 24x optical zoom (up to 48 digital zoom) which ensures that users who want to get close and personal with their shooting project have the best to use.
- Small and lightweight design
- 25mm wide-angle to 600mm tele lens range
- High precision Face detection
- 5-axis hybrid image stabilization
- Full HD Live RTP Streaming
- Slow-motion recording at 120fps
- Wireless control via smartphone/tablets
The Sony FDR-AX700 delivers impressive power and performance for a tiny palm-sized handycam camera. It utilizes Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) encoding for 4K HDR recording that produces lot more detail, brightness and color to every shot.
Boasting features like 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, Instant HDR2, 12x optical zoom lens, High-resolution OLED viewfinder, 1″ image sensor and Fast Hybrid Auto Focus, Sony FDR-AX700 ticks all the right boxes for aspiring film makers and video enthusiasts.
- 3.5 inch LCD touch Screen
- Suitable for advanced movie production
- Includes S-log2 and S-log3 profiles
- Up to 12x optical zoom and 18x/24x Clear Image Zoom for 4K/HD respectively
- Up to 960(NTSC)/1000(PAL) fps for slow motion
- Up to 273 phase-detection AF points
4. Canon XA15
This is a compact handheld HD camcorder from Canon that guarantees delivery of excellent imagery. It’s lightweight and flexible design are mainly for the purpose of fast paced Electronic News Gathering (ENG) as well as journalistic and documentary recordings.
The Canon XA15 professional camcorder features an HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor, a DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, a 20x HD optical zoom lens and an HD/SD-SDI terminal that facilitate capturing and transmission of high-quality video and audio signal for broadcast and other video production use. It comes with the following additional features.
- Suitable for broadcasting and news events recordings
- 3-inch LCD touchscreen with Electronic Viewfinder
- Multi-bit rate and Simultaneous Recording in AVCHD and MP4 formats
- Wide Angle Zoom lens with circular aperture
- Great low light performance and sensitivity
5. Canon XA11
The Canon XA11 camcorder is a high quality video camera for professional and amateur filmmakers to make their vision into a reality. This camera features a powerful DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor and also an upgraded HD CMOS Pro Image sensor that excels in low light performance and low luminance noise to deliver stunning Full HD video. Apart from simultaneous dual recording (AVCHD and MP4 format) capability at different bit rates, the XA11 also offers up to 20x optical zoom and a powerful optical image stabilization that captures smooth video in different shooting situations.
- 3″ LCD Touchscreen with Electronic Viewfinder
- Dual SD Card Slots
- Full HD 1920×1080 Recording
- Video Compression MPEG-4 AVC/H.26/NTSC
- Ultra-compact with Detachable Handle
- Ergonomic and Portable Design
Canon’s Vixia GX10 is the top choice for filmmakers and video creators. It is a compact and portable 4K ultra high definition camcorder that delivers stunning video quality. The camcorder comes packed with a dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors, a 1″ CMOS image sensor and Wide DR Gamma support that enhances its sensitivity and low noise performance to every shot captured.
The GX10 boasts 15x optical zoom for 4K and up to 30x advanced zoom while shooting in full 1080p HD mode. It includes Wi-Fi connectivity that allows the camcorder to be accessed and controlled remotely for basic functions like record start/stop, AF/MF switching, focus/zoom settings and more. The wireless connectivity also makes file transfer easy and fast.
- 4K UHD and Full HD recording at up to 60fps
- Supports slow and fast motion recording up to 120fps
- 3.5-inch Touch Panel LCD with Ellectronic Viewfinder
- 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
- HDMI 2.0 supports 4K UHD 60p output
- 9-blade Iris for enhanced bokeh effect
- Dual SD cards Simultaneous recording
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Touch Focus
- Face Detection AF
- Adjustable ND Filter
This 4K handycam has proved to be excellent choice for many videographers because of its wide range of features and applications. The FDR AX53 features the proprietary Balanced Optical Steady Shot technology that renders gimbal like stabilization while taking shots in different situations. Its extra-efficient lens drive and fast intelligent autofocus ensure that you never miss the action you intend to capture in its raw splendor. Other key features of the camera include.
- 4K Ultra HD Recording
- BOSS Stablization in Full HD 1080p
- 20x Optical Zoom, 30x/40x (4K/HD) Clear Image Zoom
- 3.0″ LCD Touch Display
- Built-in Zoom Microphone
Canon VIXIA HF G21 offers advanced imaging capabilities in a lightweight and portable package. Powered by a 20x High Definition Optical Zoom lens, an advanced HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor together with DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, the HF G21 is able to capture, process and deliver super sharp videos even in low light conditions. The use of Wide DR Gamma and Highlight Priority modes ensures natural color and more detail to every frame of the shot.
- 3″ LCD Capacitive Touchscreen with Tiltable Electronic Viewfinder
- Full HD 1920×1080 recording capabilities
- Intelligent optical image stabilization
- Impressive Low-light performance
- Superb Image Reproduction
- Slow and Fast Motion including Interval Recording
- Simultaneous recording to two SD memory card slots
Sony FDR-AX33 handycam boasts video quality that is four times more sharp, wider range of color and brightness than Full HD footage. It packs most of the advanced features that make Sony cameras so popular among film makers and videographers. Below are some of its key features.
- Record 4K video
- Capture 20.6 MP still images
- Night shooting mode
- Zeiss lens with optical Steady Shot Image stabilization
- Allows video recording in XAVC S3, AVCHD and MP4 formats
- 5. 1 channel surround sound mic with manual audio controls
- Live Broadcast directly from the camcorder
- Small and lightweight body
- Wind Noise Reduction
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
10. Sony FDR-AX53
The FDR-AX53 is a top-class handycam capable of recording 4K ultra HD video. Powered by Exmor R CMOS sensor coupled with Sony’s proprietary BOSS stabilization technology with 5-axis Intelligent Active mode, this compact camcorder shoots super smooth videos with less noise even in low light situations. The ZEISS wide-angle lens offers up to 20x optical zoom and up to 30x Clear Image Zoom while recording in 4K.
- 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) recording
- 1.06 inch wide-angle ZEISS Vario-Sonnar lens
- 3 inch LCD Touch panel
- Built-in noise cancelling mic
- High-quality sound recording
- Fast Intelligent AF
- 5-axis optical image stabilization
- High-bitrate recording
Sony HDRCX405 is a great introductory camera for amateurs and first timers. It shoots 1080p Full HD video at 60p with a 30x optical and clear digital image zoom up to 60x. It features an R CMOS sensor; Sensor Steady Shot image stabilization and an intelligent auto mode. The combination of the hardware with the software makes the camera performs amazingly well when shooting videos. The camera provides ease of use and makes overall accessibility regarding its physical controls.
- 2.7″ Clear Photo LCD Display
- Captures cinematic-quality video
- XAVC S and AVCHD recording
- Optical SteadyShot with Intelligent Active Mode
- Shoot video and still images simultaneously
- Intelligent Auto & Face Detection